Wednesday, December 2, 2009

It's that time again...

December. My most favorite month. I grew up in a house where traditions are revered, Santa is real, and Jesus is first. My Dad loves Christmas more than any other person I know. Growing up, as a steadfast rule, we didn't start Christmas until after Thanksgiving. Decorating the tree was a family activity (some of my childhood creations still make an appearance on my parents tree!) My childhood memories of Christmas are precious to me.

It seems like every year Christmas is commercialized more and more. One thing that we have tried to instill in our own children is that Christmas is not about what we get. It seems to be a message that lays heavy on my heart each Christmas season. Jason and I have taken a couple of years and tried to simplify Christmas; buy less for ourselves and give cheerfully, to the fullest. Parents, that is the message that your kids will be bringing home this Christmas season from church. We will be answering some questions: Why do we give? What should we give? How can we give?

I want to encourage you as a family this month, not to get caught up in the "busy-ness" of the season. Take some time to enjoy the sights, sounds and smells of Christmas. Enjoy your family traditions. If you are a young family and don't have traditions yet, start some. Don't let this month fly by. Don't buy into the idea that you have to experience "Holiday Stress." This might just be the year to simply your family Christmas.

Wishing you a wonderful Christmas Season....

No comments:

Post a Comment