Thursday, April 15, 2010

God answers kid's prayers!

I remember when I was young, probably 8 or 9 years old, my brother Jason was in a pinewood derby race with Royal Rangers. He had already made it passed the first round at the church, and I think it was a sectional race that was next. My parents must have been out of town, and so my Grandma Salazar took us to the race. Josh and I were obligated to go, although I have to admit that when I was little I loved watching pinewood derby races. I always wished I could have been a Royal Ranger instead of a Missionette and raced a car of my own!

I clearly remember being in the car on the way to the race, and Grandma telling us to pray that Jason would win. And pray I did. I prayed and prayed and prayed. Each race that Jason's car would have I would pray "please God, let Jason's car win." Seriously, that's all I did that day was pray. And lo and behold, Jason won a trophy - I'm pretty sure he was first, and if not, pretty close to it. I just remember being so amazed that my prayer worked!

Now, I hear you, you are thinking "he probably just had a fast car" or "God doesn't mess with the results of the pinewood derby" but I'm telling you - God hears prayer. Even the prayers of a competitive little sister who wants her big brother to win a big trophy.

Pastor Tim talked about healing on Sunday, and I had the privilege to pray over a few ladies for healing in their bodies and minds. I have been thinking all week that if I were to muster the faith I had that day at the pinewood derby race, it could surely move mountains. I have listened to countless children tell me how God answered their prayers. In Club56, our 5-6th grade group, the testimonies are amazing sometimes of what God is doing through the kid's prayers. When we have a sickness at home, or a problem that our kids are aware of, we always ask one of the girls to pray. I am have to admit that there have been times when I have asked Elyse to pray because I knew she had more faith than I did right then; probably because I have already prayed, and nothing has happened.

So why is God seemingly so quick to answer the prayers of kids? I think it boils down to their innocence. There is no doubt. They believe in a big God and they have been taught, and so believe that their God can do miracles. So that is the challenge I put to you parents. Try to muster some of that child-like faith the next time you need to move a mountain. And if you can't call your kids in to pray...it may just increase your faith.

1 comment: