Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Challenge

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up." Deut. 6:5-7

What an enormous task. Or is it? If we are loving God with all of our hearts, souls and strength, doesn't it seem natural that it would be the most talked about thing in our homes? I think about all of the things we talk about over dinner - school, work, the funny thing JJ did today or what we are going to do after dinner. How often are we having those conversations with our kids that are provoking them to think about God and who he is in their lives? They learn a lot at church - I know this for a fact! They have started Junior Bible Quiz and are memorizing Scripture in Missionettes, so I know they are exposed. But, are they "impressed" as it says in verse 7? Are we impressing these things upon their tender hearts?

The challenge to myself today - love God with all of my heart, soul and strength, so that naturally Jesus flows out of my life and is impressed upon my kids hearts. Are you up to the challenge? Let's live out Deuteronomy 6 this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment