Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Raising More Joseph's

Recently I read a book entitled "Raising a Modern-Day Joseph" by Larry Fowler.  Amazing book. It uses Joseph as a model for a person full of good character.  Isn't that what we are aiming for in our own children?  I know I am.  Reading that book has me interested in the life of Joseph, so I have been reading through those chapters in Genesis the past few days.  So far, two things strike me most in these chapters. 

1.  Joseph was incredibly trustworthy.  When Jason and I were in Youth Ministry we defined the word character to the kids as "the person that you are when no one is looking."  I want to raise my kids to be trustworthy and honest no matter what situation they are in; whether they have someone looking in on them or not.  

2.  Joseph had an amazing amount of compassion.  In Chapter 42 it is telling us how Joseph's brothers have come to Egypt in search of food to buy during the famine, and they come before Joseph to ask him.  He is dealing with his brothers, the very men who betrayed them and in verse 24 it says "He turned away from them and began to weep, but then turned back and spoke to them again...."  Joseph felt intense emotion towards his brothers, perhaps dealing with anger, resentment, etc. but at the end of the day, he provides for his brothers and does not seek vindication against them.

Just two of many lessons to be learned from Joseph, but I'm thinking they are two things worth intentionally instilling in our kids, and it's ever to early to start.  Let's raise some trustworthy, compassionate kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment