Thursday, July 30, 2009

"I'm So Glad I'm Your Child"

"I'm so glad I'm your child..." These words were spoken to me just a few days ago by Elyse, my six year old.  Of course they made my heart flutter with love and maternal satisfaction, but I immediately wondered "what in the world did I do today to make her say that?" Why are we hard wired like that?  In my last post I talked about some world religions we were talking about in Children's Church last Sunday.  Hinduism, Buddhism, Islam...they are all religions that depend on works.  People spend their entire life trying to do enough good deeds to fall into good graces with their gods.  It makes me wonder how many of us are really trying to earn our way into the heart of God. Even though we "know" what His Word says about not needing to do it, we have the tendency to try and earn spiritual brownie points.  

So, why is Elyse glad she's my child?  Probably because I nurture her, I wash her clothes, I feed her meals, I kiss her owies...the list goes on and on.  But I bet the main reason why she's glad she's my child is because I am her Mommy.  I love her; not because she is hilarious, not because she is selfless, not because she's beautiful, and most certainly not because she tries hard to please me by doing the things she feels would make me happy.  I love her because she is mine. And she knows that's all the reason I need to love her.

I'm reminded tonight that every day I should wake and remind Jesus that I'm so glad I'm His child, and I'm sure that He is satisfied with that thought, even before I tackle my to do list for the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment