Friday, December 10, 2010

December 10th - Advent Calendars

Before the first of December, every year when we were growing up, my Mom would get an Advent Calendar. It was usually a paper calendar with little doors to be opened each day. Each day my brothers and I would take turns opening the door for the day and seeing what was behind it. Sometimes it was a picture or a verse, depending on what sort of calendar it was. It was a great countdown to Christmas.

We celebrated Advent in church as well. My Dad would always lead our church in celebrating Advent the Sundays leading up to Christmas with the lighting of a candle. I remember one year I did this with our Children's ministry in Eureka. It went great until one Sunday we were lighting the candle, and a pretty little girl's hair nearly went up in flames.

A simple memory, but one that made the Christmas season more special.

No comments:

Post a Comment