Monday, December 20, 2010

December 19th - Christmas Stockings

Our internet was down yesterday all day at home so I was not able to post my December 19th blog yesterday. But rather than skip it, I want to tell you about the blessing I was able to be a part of, and receive myself.

I'm not sure how long Bethel has been reaching out to families that ride our bus during Christmas, but I have had the privilege to be a part of the Christmas Stocking drive for 2 Christmases now. Our generous Bethel family fills a stocking for every kiddo that rides our busses, and myself and our faithful bus drivers had the opportunity to deliver them yesterday afternoon. This year was and extra blessing-packed trip because we were able to give away grocery gift cards to the parents (who in nearly every single case have never set foot in our church).

I loved repeating this ritual a few times...Our family drove up to the house or apartment, I figured out where I was going, knocked on the door, the door opened to a delighted face that saw me standing with their stocking packed full of goodies. Then I asked for Mom or Dad and handed them their gift card, and a the "why are you knocking on my door on Sunday afternoon" face became a very blessed, thankful face.

Probably one of the things I love most about Christmas is unexpected blessings. It truly is a season of miracles, and I am amazed at the generosity of God's family during this time. The day we set out the empty stockings, they were nearly gone by the time service concluded - dozens of stockings came back 2 weeks later packed with gifts for kids that might experience a lean Christmas this year.

So, thank you Bethel Church Family for being a light to your community. You have blessed dozens of kids with your generosity, and blessed your Children's Pastor through your support of these special kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment