Saturday, December 11, 2010

December 11th - The Child of a Music Minister

My Dad is a Music Minister. He has been since before I was born, so most of what happens surrounding the holiday season at church is completely a part of normal life for me. In fact, my birth was scheduled around the hectic holiday musical season. True story.

The things that happened at church were such a huge part of our holiday season growing up that they are weaved throughout almost every Christmas memory I have. Here are some of my favorites:
  • The Christmas Music selection. Let's face it, when my Dad started listening to music for church during the summer it meant we always had the goods when it came to new, really good Christms Music. There are a few songs that still take me back to my parent's living room even now when I hear them.
  • Carols By Candlelight. I mentioned this in my first post. Even though that one year I botched my number, this was probably my most favorite service of the entire year. I loved the music, the drama, the stories, and the atmosphere.
  • Christmas Musicals. My parents didn't always do a full blown musical, but when they did, it was always good. One year in Manteca, my Dad wrote a musical and I can still remember a lot of the music from it. It was a comedy, very funny...my Dad's sense of humor shows through the whole thing.
  • Choir Christmas Parties. My Mom throws an amazing party. I always loved the choir Christmas parties because of the wonderful people it brought together, the delicious food, and the warmest, most Christmasy atmostphere in the world.

As a Children's Pastor we don't quite have as many events that are Christmas related as I did growing up, but I take advantage of every opportunity to make sure my kids soak up as much of the Christmas that goes on at our church as possible. In every one of these memories it makes me thankful for the way I was raised, and the influence of the church on this most special time of year.

No comments:

Post a Comment