Thursday, December 23, 2010

December 23rd - The Meals

One of the things I miss the most about not being with my parents for the Christmas holiday is the traditional meals that we have. Both of my grandma's and my Mom are really really good cooks. Somehow this gene has skipped my generation I think (or just skipped me maybe), but I enjoy the challenge of cooking a good holiday meal for my family.

Christmas Eve my Mom cooks an enchilada dinner, something that was passed down from my Dad's side of the family. My Grandma Salazar taught my Mom how to cook her enchiladas after she and my Dad were married, and it's one of the best meals of the year. My Dad also usually finds a hispanic grocer that sells tamales, and we eat those as well. Jason and I do this when we are on our own...except Jason is the cook. He has perfected enchiladas that are delicious. I can't wait to sit down to that dinner tomorrow night.

Christmas dinner is pretty traditional...turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, gravy....and more fairly common foods. A few things that are unique to our family though (as I have found out over the years eating with others on Christmas...) One, root beer that is chilled (no ice) is what we drink at this meal. Second, real mashed potatoes only. Seriously...I was well into my young adult years before I knew what instant mashed potatoes were. Third, dressing is homemade (the kids tear up the loaves of bread the night before). Stove top stuffing was as new to me as instant mashed potatoes when I entered adulthood.

Those are just a few of the many things that are unique to our Salazar/Ferrin Christmas dinners. On Saturday, I have the rare privilege of preparing this meal for my own family. I am looking forward to it, because my goal is to make it feel like home.

No comments:

Post a Comment