Thursday, December 2, 2010

December 2nd - Salazar Christmas Eve

There was a period of time when I was in elementary school where we lived in Manteca, California for a few years. During this time, we lived remarkably close to both sets of my grandparents. I know now that I am in full time ministry and live 1,000 miles from the closest set of our parents, what a gift this time in our life really was.

We lived about 30 minutes from my Grandma & Grandpa Salazar, and so Christmas Eve during that time meant a trip to Turlock for a night with Dad's side of the family. I'm sure my parent's marriage was God ordained simply because the Christmas holiday worked out so well in terms of their traditions: Salazar's celebrated on Christmas Eve, and Ferrin's, Christmas morning!

Christmas Eve nights were very fun; we always had a big enchilada dinner and lots of family time. The most memorable thing about that night for me every year was when everyone would gather in my grandparents "front room" (living room) to watch my brothers and I put on a little show. It always was a sampling of things, perhaps a song we had learned from a musical we were in, maybe a skit, or when we got a little older, a song on our instruments. I'm sure our performances were mediocre at best, but I know that my Grandma loved them because to this day, when we talk on the phone during Christmas she brings it up every time.

I didn't realize then what a treasure it was to celebrate Christmas with extended family every year. Now that we plan a year in advance to fly 2,000 miles or drive 1,000 to parents houses for Christmas, it is an even more meaningful memory.


No comments:

Post a Comment