Wednesday, December 1, 2010

December 1st - "The Holly and the Ivy"

I am blogging the next 25 days about some of the greatest memories I have from Christmastime. If you didn't read my previous post, it will explain my thoughts a little more. These memories aren't in any particular order!

I think it started sometime in Junior High, maybe High School. I was pretty new to playing the flute - I started in 5th grade. One year though, my Dad pulled out the Mannheim Steamroller classic "The Holly and the Ivy" for he, my brother Jason and I to play together. I played my flute, and Dad and Jason played the keyboards, and I must say, it sounds pretty close to the real thing! Every time we have been all together (which doesn't happen very often) we play this for a service in church. This memory is great in itself, and I think about it every time that song flows through our playlist during the Christmas season.

There are two stand out years though. First, one year we decided to get my little brother, Josh involved. So Dad pulled out some finger cymbals and bells and Josh worked at figuring out the rhythms. Well, apparently, it is an amusing sight to see a 16 year old teenage boy who is not exactly known for his musical prowess among the youth in the church to stand up on stage with a tiny pair of finger cymbals and play a "ding" here and there in a classical piece. Jason and I have a little laugh every year about it.

The second one, although not funny at the time, is very funny now. The opening of The Holly and the Ivy is played on a recorder. I had always played it on my flute as I wasn't exactly the most proficient recorder player. One year, I had the brilliant idea that it should sound as authentic as possible. I came home for Christmas break from college, Dad bought me a nice wooden recorder, and I set out to teach myself to play. Then came "Carols by Candlelight." I stepped up to play the recorder part, very nervously because I was nowhere near confident. What came next was a total train wreck. I started. I squeaked. I started over. I squawked. One more time. Nope. Couldn't get it. I glanced back at my Dad, who had a slight look of panic, then he told me just to play it on my flute. I did, it was great, memory made.

I was appalled that night, but it quickly became a family joke. That was probably about 13 years ago, but we joke every time we play together that "I should go grab my recorder." I still have that dumb thing. I have no idea why...


No comments:

Post a Comment