Thursday, December 9, 2010

December 9th - The Sacred Order

On Christmas morning in the Salazar/Ferrin house there is a rule. A sacred order if you will. It has to do with the order in which presents are opened. It goes something like this: present opening happens one present at a time in order from the youngest to the oldest person. When two or more families are together, this order can be cycled through as many as a dozen times, one by one by one. The Ferrins have even been known to stop for a breakfast break.

I love this tradition. I actually love it more now that I am adult, and love to see people open their gifts; especially the ones that we are giving them. I think that is the reasoning behind this rule; I really should ask when this tradition started!

I remember my first Christmas as a part of the Peter family. They do their gift opening on Christmas Eve, so Jason and I went over to his parents house. Jason's Dad, Phil read us the Christmas story out of Luke, then it was time for the presents. I have to admit I was a little caught off guard by what happened next. Phil started passing out wrapped packages and as soon as they hit their owners hands...paper started flying! I think the whole deal was done in a few minutes. I got some great gifts that year - one that I still use often, a Bible from Jason's parents. I just remember being so surprised at my first introduction to the difference in tradition - I mean, doesn't everyone open gifts in age order?? Apparently not! Jason has never really understood the whole present by present Ferrin way, and I don't totally get the free for all Peter way, but it is fun being different.

I have to admit that when we are on our own for Christmas (as we will be this year) we use the Sacred Order method. It's just too much fun to see what everyone gets, and Jason is a good sport about it.

One last thing. The Sacred Order doesn't end with presents. We open stockings from oldest to youngest. Yeah, you heard me. Imagine how long that takes!


No comments:

Post a Comment